Project Management Simulation Workshop
On site or as blended distant.
In English, German, French or Spanish.
As a stand alone measure or as part of a more extended blended training.
How do you ensure that the behavior of a project manager with his or her team but also with the various stakeholders is addressed during training?
The Project Manager
- Assigns human resources to activities, considering costs, skills and availability.
- Plans quality management at activity and at project level.
- Plans risk responses to detected risks considering their expected monetary value.
- Plans communication and stakeholder’s engagement.
- Balances the triple constraint (costs, time, quality).
Executing, Monitoring & Controlling
The Project Manager:
- Takes adequate decisions that mitigate risks and exploit opportunities.
- Manages scope changes.
- Monitors and controls the schedule, applies schedule compressing techniques.
- Monitors and controls the budget, applies cost reduction techniques.
- Monitors and controls quality at work package and at project level.
- Manages human resources, resolves conflicts.
- Manages communication.
- Monitors and controls team motivation and stakeholder engagement,
- Monitors & controls known risks and answer to new risks,
- Implements corrective and preventive actions to keep the performance indexes at 100%.
- Replans as necessary.
- Manages material resources.
- Verifies that contracts are correctly administered.
The Project Manager:
- Analyses and communicates project status to stakeholders, including presentations to the plenum of participants playing the role of the organisation’s management.
- Gathers lessons learned.
- Closes phases and the project.
Behavioral Skills Practiced
The Project Manager:
- actively listens, understands, and responds to stakeholders,
- creates a team environment that promotes high performance,
- builds and maintains effective relationships,
- motivates and mentors project team members,
- takes accountability for delivering the project,
- plans and manages for project success in an organized manner,
- resolves conflict involving the project team or stakeholders,
- effectively resolves issues and solves problems,
- resolves problems with the project,
- maintains project stakeholder involvement, motivation and support,
- manages a diverse workforce,
- resolves individual and organizational issues while maintaining objectivity.
During training each team is very involved and needs to manage the project management dashboard: time, budget, quality, risks.
But also leadership, change management, and human factors are addressed.
The motivation of the team, a critical success factor, becomes everyone business.
The workshop uses “learning by immersion” as pedagogical method, allowing participants to apply theory and make mistakes in a safe environment without jeopardizing a real project. it is fun and reassuring for participants.
During the simulation the team is confronted with many situations responding to organizational issues, managing scope changes, resolving conflicts, improving quality, all this at a peace that requires participants to determine priorities, make choices, adapt strategy.
Different scenarios can be used as application areas for general project management: process improvement, event management, product development, construction of a refinery, hybrid agile, and others.
In accordance with the marketing strategy defined at the beginning of the year, the management wishes to provide its customers with an on-line interactive service. This will allow customers to follow-up and control orders without the intervention of either the customer service or accounting departments. For this project a tentative schedule has been written with the list of activities, budget and time required. The core-team has been established.
Your company has devised a new all-in-one Smartphone. This high performance appliance includes many innovative features, which makes it very attractive for listeners on the go and consumers who enjoy new technologies. The product conception is almost finished and its launch on the market must now be prepared. For this project tentative specifications have been written with the list of activities, budget and time required. The core-team has been established.
The International Lausanne Football Tournament will gather some of the most important European youth football clubs. The National Federation is organizing the event for the first time. An organization specialized in sport events allocates all its resources to the event. The project “ILFT phase B” is a part of the preparation process. The preparation must be finished 2 weeks before the opening day. The core team and budget have been established. Other resources of the Federation are available for the project.
Plastoceram is the leading firm in manufacturing special packages made of composite materials. One of its clients that produces pacemakers cannot find any appropriate solution for the case of its latest ultra-miniature model. A case thus needs to be developed for this client within a very short time. It should be made of a resistant, very thin and easy-to-fashion material.
In line with the new company strategy, defined at the beginning of the year, the top management decided to redesign the company’s organization in order to address new market challenges. Measures will enhance the capacity to answer faster and better customer’s expectations and will enhance the efficiency of the global network of partners. A tentative schedule has been defined, with a list of activities. The budget for the reorganization project and the deadline have been set. The core-team has been assigned.
Oil and Gas
Your company owns several refineries. Company management wants to respond rapidly to growing demand on high-quality gasoline. Additional equipment must be purchased and installed. A sub-project for planning this new installation has been launched. For this sub-project a tentative schedule has been written with the list of activities, budget and time required. The core-team has been established.
Your organization has been growing at a fast pace over the last few years. Recently the managing director announced that the company will merge with a competitor that is roughly the same size and situated in a part of the city about 10 km from your offices. It has been decided to consolidate both organizations into a new building. As part of this move, the IT system will be upgraded and additional office equipment will be purchased. An initial schedule and budget has been allocated. The core team has been identified and you can have access to other colleagues to assist in the execution of the project.
In accordance with the marketing strategy defined at the beginning of the year, the management wishes to provide our customers with an online interactive service. This will allow customers to follow-up and control orders without the intervention of either the customer service or accounting departments. The customer representative is the Product owner. List of product backlog tasks, budget and time required have been defined. The core team has been established.